Why Water Soluble Cannabinoids are the Next Big Thing in the Cannabis Industry
Table of contents
“Water-soluble cannabinoids” is a popular buzzword phrase on the cannabis scene. Canna-beverages have made a grand entry into the non-alcoholic beverage market, with a 2019 market value of $919 billion. This figure is projected to grow significantly over the course of the next eight years due to cannabis legalization across the globe and the shifting customer preference towards potentially healthier beverages. Gummies, capsules, chocolates, and other cannabis-infused edibles have come a long way over the past several years. Consequently, manufacturers have been challenged to find creative ways to infuse beverages with potent and tasty cannabinoids. However, one major challenge exists; water and oil do not mix well.
Cannabinoids are bioactive compounds found in cannabis as well as hemp. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) are by far the most prevelant cannabinoids, with the impact of THC & CBD ratios in a product being a topic of much debate..
When it comes to water-soluble cannabis beverages, it’s a different ball game.
The Industry’s Big Hurdle — Water-Soluble Cannabinoid Extract
If you’ve ever watched someone add an oil-based product to water, you were quickly reminded of the old saying around “oil and water do not mix”. Until recently, this was one of the largest hurdles for cannabis brands (or anyone for that matter) who wanted to mix a cannabis extract into a liquid. That’s because “water-soluble cannabinoid extracts” or “water-soluble THC” don’t occur naturally. In fact, the designation “water-compatible” is a more accurate description.
This is due to the nature of cannabinoids, which are what is referred to as lipophilic or fat-loving. This simply means that they are much more efficient at infusing themselves into lipids [fat molecules]. This is the reasoning behind the popularity of cannabis-infused edibles that are traditionally high in fat — think canna-butter, which is often the foundation of many cannabis edibles.
The opposite of lipophilic is referred to as hydrophilic or “water-loving”. As you may have recognized by now, cannabis brands had to figure out a method that would allow them to make oil-based cannabinoid extracts more hydrophilic in order to allow for beverage infusion.
How Brands Mesh Cannabis Extracts Into Beverages
Recent technological advances have given brands the ability to overcome some of the inherent challenges of creating a water-soluble cannabinoid extract. By creating what is referred to as a macroemulsion (what you get when you mix two immiscible liquids like oil and water), cannabis brands are better positioned to infuse cannabinoids like THC and CBD into beverages. The problem is that macroparticles are often visible in the liquid, form a cloudy suspension, can be tasted, and typically sink to the bottom of the beverage because of their density. These factors combined result in an unpleasant experience, both in terms of appearance and taste. How is this resolved? Microemulsions.
Microemulsions allow for cannabinoids to be broken into tiny particles — beyond that of macroemulsions — that give molecules the ability to attach themselves to water molecules. This is why the terminology “water-compatible” is a little more accurate than “water-soluble”.
Advantages of Cannabis Drinks
Drinkable cannabis products like Koan Cordials bring an entirely new set of advantages to the scene for canna-consumers.
- Convenience – Unlike other cannabis products, water-soluble cannabis products give you the ability to simply mix your dosage into your water bottle, morning coffee, or evening cocktail. No more lugging around consumption accessories or worrying about your edibles melting or getting squished before you have a chance to enjoy them. Furthermore, canna-drink consumers have the ability to choose the beverage and experience that they want. No more settling for only the flavors that your dispensary happens to have in stock at the time.
- Dosage Control – If you’re a cannabis consumer then you recognize how difficult controlling your dosage can be. If you’ve yet to incorporate cannabis into your routine, then you’ll quickly learn that most traditional product types present hurdles for users in terms of knowing the exact THC, CBD, and terpene composition of your product. This is no longer an issue with products like Koan Cordials on the market. In fact, they’re a great example of the value added by ensuring laboratory-level precisely dosed cannabis products that are consistent from batch to batch.
- Discreteness – Sometimes you simply want to consume your cannabis in a low-key manner, be it from your water bottle or your morning beverage. This isn’t exactly feasible with most consumption methods, but water-soluble cannabinoids give canna-consumers this ability. With this comes the flexibility to take your cannabis product places that you may not normally be able to consume. For instance, some venues like concerts, beaches, or parks typically don’t allow smokable products.
- Socializing – Much like you may grab a 6-pack or bottle of wine on your way to hang out with friends, brands like Koan make it easy to now snag a couple of their 3-pack cordials to share with the group. Until recently, grabbing a non-alcoholic, cannabis-infused drink with a group of friends wasn’t possible, but thanks to the technological advances in cannabis-infusion, social butterflies can now raise their glass for a toast with THC, CBD, and terpenes.
- More Ingredient Options – If you’ve ever consumed cannabis-infused edibles, you’ve probably found yourself reading through the ingredient or nutrition label. While most of us fall victim to our sweet-tooth from time to time, special brownies, infused-gummies, and other cannabis edibles can sometimes pack extra ingredients that users may wish to avoid. Water-soluble cannabis products like Koan Cordials are 100% vegan, sugar free, gluten free, and even calorie free, giving users more control over what they put into their body.
Mixing Cannabis Into Your Beverages
If you expected a long-winded lesson dedicated to teaching you how to incorporate cannabis into your drinks, you’ll be pleasantly surprised to find that it is as simple as three steps:
- Purchase a Koan Cordial – These convenient, single-serving cordials come in a variety of blends tailored to mood. From Wonder to Delight, ask your dispensary which blends are in stock. If they don’t have the mood that you’re seeking, you can also order online for home delivery (CA residents only).
- Mix into your beverage of choice – As simple as popping the top and pouring it in! Koan Cordials mix into beverages with ease, so you don’t have to worry about undissolved chunks like protein powder shakes.
We recommend checking out all of Koan’s blends and keeping an eye out for new releases as they’re constantly developing new cordials. In the meantime, sit back and enjoy their latest blend, Love by crafting their signature cocktail, love potion, for you and someone special.
This article is for informational purposes only and not to be used as medical advice. Please speak with a medical professional before making any changes to your diet, medications, or daily routine. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.